Avial is traditional kerala dish which is combination of a wide varieties of vegetables.It is a very common dish in kerala and one of the major dish in the Kerala Sadya/Feast.As it contains all the vegetables it is one of the wholesome healthy dish.
- 1 Cucumber
- 1/2 cup Elephant yam
- 1 Carrot
- 1 raw Plantain
- 1 Drumstick
- 1 Potato
- 4 Beans
- 4 Ivy gourd
- 4 Green chilly
- 1/2 tbsp Turmeric powder
- 1 and 1/2 cup Grated coconut
- 1 tbsp Cumin seeds
- 1 cup Curd/yogurt
- Curry leaves
- 1 tbsp coconut oil
If you like you can also add few pieces of Bitter gourd into it .
- Cut the vegetables into 2 inch lengthwise pieces.
- Grind the coconut with cumin seeds,green chillies and curryleaves in a Mixer Grinder.
- Place all the vegetables in a Pressure Cooker, add turmeric powder and salt.Add only one cup of water.If you add more water ,the avial become more gravy.Now cook for one whistle.
- Now place cooke vegetables in a Kadai.Add the ground mixture into it and boil.
- Add curry leaves.
- Add coconut oil into it and turn of the flame.
- After cooling ,add curd /yogurt into this mixture and mix well.
- Now the Kerala Aviyal is ready to serve.