Koottu Curry is a traditional side dish in Kerala which is usually served with kerala feast/sadya. Koottu Curry can be serve with rice or chapathi. Koottu Curry can be made easily with only few vegetables.Let us see the recipe.
- 1/2 cup Brown chickpeas/Kadala (soaked overnight)
- 1/2 cup chopped Elephant yam
- 1/2 cup chopped Raw Plantain
- 1/4 cup Carrot (Optional)
- 1/4 cup Pumpkin (Optional)
- 1/4 tbsp Red chilly powder
- 1/4 tbsp Turmeric powder
- 1 tbsp Pepper powder
- 1 tbsp Cumin seeds
- 1 tbsp Mustard seeds
- 2 Red chilly
- 1 tbsp oil
- 1 1/2 cup Coconut grated (1 cup for grinding and 1/2 cup for seasoning)
- Salt to taste
- Curry leaves
Grinding: In a Mixer Grinder grind 1 cup of coconut with cumin seeds and pepper powder.
- Cook the brown chickpeas in a Pressure Cooker by adding salt.
- In a Kadai add chopped Elephant yam and chopped Raw plantain. If you want add carrot and pumpkin.Add turmeric powder and red chilly powder.Cook well.
- Now add the cooked brown chickpeas into it and stir well.
- Add the ground mixture into it.Stir well let it cook for sometime.
- Once the mixture is well cooked turn off the flame.
- In a Pan heat oil ,splutter mustard seeds.
- Add red chilly and curry leaves.
- Now add 1/2 cup of grated coconut into the pan and roast it well until it becomes reddish brown color.
- Now add the roasted mixture into the kadai and mix well.
- Now the Koottu curry is ready to serve.